This is an email I am sending out to my current coaching clients this weekend. I invite you to read.
Dear Top Performer:
This has been a challenging year for many.
If you feel like you are fighting an uphill battle in 2017…
You are not alone.
At the same time certain people (some who may be very close to you) are on fire and having “career years”…
And that makes it even more frustrating.
To make matters worse…
We are now headed into the toughest 3 months of the year in terms of potential distraction:
– Kids get out of school
– People go on vacation
– Agents go on vacation
– The weather gets hot
This year, many of my coaching sessions are becoming pep talks…
Trying to lift people’s spirits up…
Urging people to keep their head in the game…
To keep marching forward with a positive attitude…
To have faith in the process.
This had led me to thinking about the relationship between Expectations and Effort.
Think for a moment…
Which of these statements is more true for you?
– Both my expectations and my effort are lacking.
– My expectations are bigger than my effort.
– My effort is bigger than my expectations.
– My expectations and effort are in alignment.
I think if you are being brutally honest with yourself…
Most of the time if you are not getting what you want…
It is due to the effort you are giving (or not giving).
I think too often we UNDERESTIMATE the effort we need to give…
We UNDERESTIMATE the challenges we are going to face…
And we UNDERESTIMATE the time needed to see the results we are looking for.
Let’s do a little reality check.
This is what it means to live in this world and be a human being:
1. Life is not fair in many different ways.
2. Everything is connected in ways you often can’t see.
3. Change is constant.
4. There are NO guarantees.
5. Security is NOT obtained by having things. Security is only achieved by your ability to handle change.
6. Karma is real.
7. You are never in control of the outcome. You only think you are. The only things you really control are your beliefs, words, and actions.
8. It takes a lot more energy and courage to think I CAN vs. I CAN’T.
9.On too many days it is easier to see what is wrong vs. what is right.
10. Much to your chagrin… there are stupid, lazy, mean people around you that are succeeding much more than you.
11. You are your own worst critic. You exaggerate the good in others and diminish the good in yourself. Comparing yourself to others, sucks the life out of you.
12. Your need for instant gratification is very real and it is a very limiting behavior.
13.Too often you fall victim to having a scarcity mindset as opposed to being in real scarcity.
14. Long term gain requires a lot of short term pain. No risk… means no reward!!
15. You are a creature of habit and habits are hard to break.
16. The Compound Effect is real and at work at every day either in your favor or against you.
17. If you want to succeed in life you have to learn to be comfortable being uncomfortable.
18. Things are going to be hard before they are easy. There is no way around this.
19. You probably don’t have a trust fund and probably will not inherit millions of dollars.
20. Chances are you are not going to win the lottery.
21. You can do many things right on a consistent basis and bad things can still happen to you.
22. Success is not forever and failure is not fatal.
23. You enter this world with nothing and you leave this world with nothing. Everything is temporary.
24. The best way to grow is to LET GO!!
25. Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is the only turn you get and your days are numbered.
Read through this list carefully.
Are you still wondering why life feels so hard and the journey so difficult at times???
I don’t share any of this to depress to you…
Quite the opposite!
I share this with you because I want you to really understand what you are up against on a daily basis.
I want you to get your Expectations and Effort in alignment!!
How can you possibly be expected to keep a smile on your face and give your best effort every day knowing all of the above is part of the human condition and experience… and this does not include any of the really bad stuff that can happen in life?
HERE IS THE ANSWER…
Every day you must do your Mental Push-Ups.
EVERY FUCKING DAY!!
And I am writing this to me more than anyone!!
You cannot miss a single day.
You have to train yourself to be mentally strong and mentally tough.
STRONG AND TOUGH!!
- You have to get clear about what YOU want.
- You have to truly believe with every cell in your body… what you want is really possible for YOU!!
- You must be connected to YOUR goals in every way imaginable – physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually… every way!!
- You must believe in YOUR ability to make your goals your reality.
- YOU must recommit yourself to the process… EVERY DAY… NO MATTER WHAT… NO EXCUSES… NO PLAN B!
- YOU must crank up the courage and FEEL THE FEAR AND DO IT ANYWAY!!
- YOU MUST TAKE ACTION TODAY BECAUSE TODAY IS THE ONLY DAY YOU HAVE AND TODAY IS THE ONLY DAY THAT MATTERS!!!
Let me ask you…
Are you TAKING RESPONSIBILITY for your life?
Are you THINKING BIGGER?
Are you BELIEVING MORE?
Are you ACTING AS IF?
Are you GETTING BETTER EVERY DAY?
These are the Mental Push-Ups you must do EVERY DAY!!
You must decide whether you believe:
- You can build a better YOU.
- You can build a better LIFE.
- You can build a better BUSINESS.
IF THE ANSWER IS YES!!….
Having a POSITIVE ATTITUDE is a muscle you must flex every day.
The fear is always going to be there.
The uncertainty is always going to be there.
The unknown is always going to be there.
And… success is much more fleeting than failure.
And… most days it just feels like one failure after another.
AND YOU HAVE TO KEEP GOING ANYWAY BECAUSE…
LIFE NEVER QUITS COMING AT YOU.
In fact life is a firehose of OPPORTUNITY, CHALLENGE, and DISTRACTION.
It never shuts off.
You have to decide what you are going to focus on.
So let me ask you again…
ARE YOUR EXPECTATIONS AND EFFORT IN ALIGNMENT??
If not, let’s talk about how to make this happen!!